Just weeks before the pivotal European Election, top leaders and thinkers will gather in Florence, Italy for the ninth edition of The State of the Union. This year’s special emphasis on 21st Century Democracy in Europe will encourage debate and reflection on the democratic functioning of the European Union, its Member States, and their capacity to respond to the aspirations and needs of future generations.
From Thursday 2 until Saturday 4 May 2019, Florence will become the center of Europe where discussions will focus on:
- Democratic transitions in Europe;
- The rule of law and the legal powers of the EU;
- Democracy and the European Elections;
- Inclusive democracy and migrant engagement in the political process;
- Youth, a European Union fit for the next generation;
- Trust and the Single Market; and
- Economic power and democracy.