Just weeks before the pivotal European elections, top leaders and thinkers will gather in Florence, Italy for the ninth edition of The State of the Union. This year’s special emphasis on 21st-Century Democracy in Europe will encourage debate and reflection on the democratic functioning of the European Union, its Member States, and their capacity to respond to the aspirations and needs of future generations. Find the full conference programme here.
From Thursday 2 until Saturday 4 May 2019, Florence will become the center of Europe where discussions will focus on:
- Democracy and the European elections;
- The rule of law and the legal powers of the EU;
- Disinformation and fake news;
- 30 years since the start of the democratic transition in Eastern Europe;
- Democratic legitimacy of immigration policies;
- Youth, a European Union fit for the next generation;
- Trust in the Single Market for banking and finance;
- Democratising the EU’s external action;
- Global Governance trends to 2030.