The European Union is navigating in a rapidly changing world, characterised by rising concerns over global commons, a shifting economic and geopolitical power balance, and major challenges to multilateralism. The rules-based order it used to regard itself as part of is falling apart; great-power rivalry is on the rise; and the effects of already locked-in climate change and its underpinning, untreated causes loom. New, more polycentric modes of global governance are emerging, whose robustness and effectiveness remain uncertain. The future of the EU and its ability to meet the needs of its citizens in large part will depend on how it succeeds in upgrading its role in this international environment.
For the tenth edition of The State of the Union, the Scientific Committee has designed a comprehensive programme under the overarching theme of Europe as a global player which will consider the EU’s threefold role as regulator, negotiator and actor in examining the following topics:
- AI: Promises and challenges of Artificial Intelligence for Europe
- Climate: Enhancing the implementation of the Paris Agreement: what role for emerging economies?
- Competition: Extraterritoriality and the challenges of global competition
- Currency: Promoting the international role of the euro
- Data: Going beyond borders: EU Privacy and Security
- Defence: Europe: The search for strategic autonomy
- Development: Africa and the EU role in international development
- Digital Sovereignty: The EU in the new global digital economy
- Environment: Towards a global green new deal: opportunities and challenges
- Finance: The EU role on regulating international banking and finance
- International Relations: The EU in the new geopolitics
- Migration: Navigating the “post-crisis” EU migration policy
- Peace: EU: a promoter of peace in the Eastern and Mediterranean borders?
- Taxation: What’s wrong in international tax and what to do about it?
- The Pierre Werner Report @ 50
- Trade: Trade Policy and the EU: conflict or cooperation
The full programme of The State of the Union 2020 will be published here soon.