Towards a circular economy: European ambitions and local contributions to improve the lives of citizens – Roundtable

Tuscany Region – Presidency, Palazzo Guadagni Strozzi Sacrati, Sala Pegaso, Piazza Duomo 10 – Florence

 

Festival d’Europa Photo Gallery

The event aims at creating a debate around the interconnectedness between the future challenges of the green and circular economies of the European Union and their actual implementation at the regional and national level through EU structural and investment funds. The EU’s proposed measures to support a circular economy help companies and consumers undertake the transition towards a stronger economy, where resources are used in the most sustainable way possible. These political actions contribute to the improvement of recycling practices and have beneficial effects on both the economy and the environment, closing the cycle of life of all products. The aim is to use raw materials, products and waste efficiently, obtaining the maximum value while promoting energy saving and reducing greenhouse-gas emissions. Therefore, the Regions, in collaboration with national institutions, can and will consider themselves as guarantors of such measures at the local level. They will contribute to making the lives of their constituents greener and more sustainable. The Tuscany Region recycles about 56% of waste produced. Their objective is to reach 70% by 2020 and 80% by 2023. The remaining 20% should be composed of 5% Mechanical Biological Treatment (MBT) waste, 7% incineration material and a remaining 8% residue for landfills. The projects aim at implementing 6 new biodigestors by 2022.

Moderator:
Massimo Vanni, Journalist

Roundtable:
Simona Bonafè, Member of the European Parliament and Rapporteur for Circular Economy
Carlo Pettinelli, Director for Consumer, Environmental and Health Technologies, DG GROW for Internal Market, Industry, Entrepreneurship and SMEs, European Commission
Enrico Rossi, President of the Tuscany Region
Giulia Deidda, Mayor of Santa Croce sull’Arno, Tuscany
Alessandro Francioni, President of Associazione Conciatori


ContactElisa Sassoli, Tuscany Region and Enrico Mayhrofer, Tuscany Region